Search

A Little Bit of Insight

As I sit here alone in a fast food place staring at the chicken caesar salad that they managed to make look unappetizing, I can't help but think, "What should I write about today?" For my first two days I had my cutsey alliterations but here I sit, waiting for my ride and completely blank on what to write about. I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to come up with something that starts with a W and alas I have decided to talk about work.

Yes, I am 17 and a senior in high school, but I also have a job. As anyone that currently is or has ever been a teenager can tell you, there is nothing better than the freedom that comes with being able to afford things on your own. Now, my school situation is a bit different than most (another post for another day) and this has allowed me much more flexibility in getting a job. Let me preface this whole thing with "I am not in any way saying there is anything bad about the typical jobs available to students, I just feel very blessed to have a different job."

I have the joy of being a nanny to a wonderful, almost 2 year old boy. I, of course, am not going to give any names or pictures of him but let me just tell you, the second you see him, you absolutely fall in love with him. Today was my first day back to work in a week because they had been away and there was nothing better than the greeting I got from him when he saw me. I have been watching him for about 8 months now and I can't help it, I have gotten very attached. No, the job is never easy. You are constantly responsible for a small life. I have no idea how parents do it. There are certainly it's challenges (as I sit here, my arms and legs are covered in blue Thomas the train stamps, who knows when those will wear off) but it is also extremely rewarding.

When I started in February he was only speaking in his own little baby language and couldn't walk on his own. Today he ran up to me and told me he wanted to have a "conversation" and then told me all about his vacation. Being able to see the development is truly amazing and a complete gift. I love the fact that every day when I get to work, he has something new to tell me. Today I taught him how to say ""garbanzo beans."

It is very different than the babysitting jobs I was looking for when I posted a flyer in my dad's office, but it is 100 times more amazing. We sit and play guitar together. I teach him new songs and he dances around. He has even started asking me for "rection" because I may or may not have played him a One Direction song on my phone. I guess he liked it!

There is nothing better than getting to work and having his mom tell me that he was asking for me because that means I have done my job well. Beyond making sure that he stays safe, it is also my responsibility to make sure I am keeping him engaged and teach him. We are working on letters and counting right now.

I'm not going to lie, it is not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination, but I woudn't trade it for any other job I could have right now. Not a chance.

I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit more about my life and what I do.

Much love,
Kelsey <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment